As my body was exhausted from endless works, I finally decided to pamper my body, away from the busy world. Just a brief ‘Me Time’ to detox my body and soul. It took me some time to decide a nice date for me to pamper myself because my schedule was so tight. My favourite massage style has always been Thai massage but after browsing through the Internet to find some nice spas all over Kota Kinabalu, I finally decided to have a nice session at Mandara Spa @ The Magellan Sutera Resort, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah.
This is my first time of going to Mandara Spa, and I have never known that they actually have Mandara Spa here in Kota Kinabalu. Blame me for being ignorant because it had never crossed my mind to try other massage styles. I was a total aficionado to Thai massage after I had my first one in Bangkok, Thailand, a few years ago. 😆 I just loved the feeling of getting a nice back and shoulder massage.
I am not going to spend time on introducing Mandara Spa as I am sure that most of you have already known about this famous spa which is actually available all over the world. For those who would love to know more about Mandara Spa, you can find the information here. They have all the information that you need in one website, so I am not going to waste my space on telling you about Mandara Spa because I am sure that you would love to know my personal opinion about this spa. Frankly speaking, it is not about luxury but the experience as well as result after every spa session.
What are the benefits of getting a massage? I once read an article by Dr. Mehmet Oz (known as Dr. Oz), that mentioned that getting a massage at a spa is actually make our body feels good. Most studies have shown that there is a decrease in cortisol level and an increase in depression-fighting serotonin levels after massage. Besides, there is an increase of beta-endorphin levels which relieved the pains and increase well-being. There are tons of benefits of getting a massage, and I can only point out some benefits because they are endless.
…Massage therapy improves blood circulation, speeds healing, and lowers the stress hormones cortisol and norepinephrine, which is thought to diminish their deleterious effect on the immune system. A relaxing massage can also lower blood pressure and heart rate… – Debra Fulghum Bruce PhD, Healthcare.Massage therapy is an important part of health and fitness. It works like a restart button. We have so much stress, overuse patterns of daily activity, and we need to recover from the workouts that also keep us healthy. Massage helps to keep flexibility, reduces pain, increases immune system function, reduces recovery time from both injury/workouts and plays a strong role in injury prevention. It is beneficial to receive a massage at least once a month. However, if you are training for a competition, or have an injury it may be recommended to be seen more often. There are many forms of massage therapy techniques to meet your health and fitness goals so make sure you discuss these options with your massage therapist. – Jara Soost, NASM Elite Trainer, Athletic Training
Why do you go to a massage spa with experienced and well-trained Massage Therapist? Massage Therapists are trained to do the massage properly, and they are only qualified to do the massages after they have graduated from their academy. They have knowledge on massage techniques, and essential oils which are used during therapy. All of these Massage Therapists are trained on both theoretical and practical, and they will be trained on how to communicate with their clients properly. Most of us would want to experience the best hospitality that feels just like home even when it is only spending an hour in the spa. In fact, theseMassage Therapists have their performance monitored by the management to ensure that they can always meet the benchmark stated by the management. In short, client’s satisfaction and experience are on top priority. Less negative feedback, more positive results.
I went to Mandara Spa @ The Magellan Sutera Resort, and opted for their signature massage, Mandara Massage. The 50-minute massage session is a combination of 5 different massage styles – Shiatsu, Thai, Hawaiian Lomi Lomi, Swedish, and Balinese. Sounds like one whole world massage techniques in one session.
- Shiatsu Massage
- This Japanese originated Shiatsu’s conceptual foundation is that Qi or vital energy that flows through the body needs to be reset to balance. The technique can be easily known from the hand pressure where masseur uses finger pad pressure and easy leaning of the elbows, by simply rotating the limbs with stretches and other manipulative techniques to adjust the body’s physical structure as well as inner energies to prevent illness and maintain a good health. While we can enjoy this Shiatsu from a modern massage chair (you know you can find them selling in the malls 😉 ), there’s nothing can beat a manually done Shiatsu, of course, by human.
- Thai Massage
- Thai Massage consists of a series of interactive, flowing movements, stretches and rhythmic massage that focus all the body’s energy lines and pressure points to balance energy levels. This massage aids flexibility and equalizes the muscles on both sides of the body that release the body from mental and physical stress. This is my favourite massage because it stretches out the muscles which makes me relaxed.
- Hawaiian Lomi Lomi Massage
- Lomi Lomi is best known for long, flowing, dance-like strokes, often using the forearms and generous amounts of oil. It can be easily recognized from its gentle stretches and joint rotations by simultaneously massaging two parts of your body at same time. The long flowing strokes are to promote harmony and balance in the body. This massage technique usually includes abdominal massage because the Hawaiian tradition considers the colon part of a person’s soul or heart.
- Swedish Massage
- The Swedish Massage is considered as the most widely recognized and commonly used massage technique in western part of the world. It uses five (5) styles of strokes, i.e. sliding, kneading, rhythmic tapping, friction and vibration/shaking. This kind of massage focus on relaxing the entire body by rubbing the muscles with long gliding strokes in the direction of blood returning to the heart.
- Balinese Massage
- Balinese Massage is just another famous massage technique which is now very trendy around the world. It consists of a combination of different techniques from various cultures that the Balinese people have adapted to create their own unique style. In fact, the healing technique is derived from Ayurveda which involves oils and herbs with some techniques picked from other cultures such as China’s acupressure, Western’s skin rolling and flicking, firm and gentle stroking, and percussion techniques.
I was showed to my room by Massage Therapist. I was served with a cup of tea that relaxed my mind. I was given enough private moment which I was thankful enough. The mesmerizing view was indeed beautiful because my room was facing South China Sea. After a few minutes getting myself ready for the massage session, I was introduced with two (2) Massage Therapists. This is my first time of getting a massage done by more than one therapist. I was so excited that I couldn’t stop myself from asking them questions about massage.
The experience was a fantastic because both Massage Therapists, Rahimah and Lucy, are well-trained and have more than 4 years experience working with Mandara Spa. I am going to share about my experience getting my massage session at this spa, and why you should try their spa package. The 50-minute pampering session was so relaxing that I feel my body relaxed and re-energized. In fact, I enjoyed so much having ‘all-over-the-world’ massage in session. To be frank enough, whenever I need a massage, I would go for Shiatsu, or Thai massage, but, after having Mandara massage, I have decided that I will go for another Mandara massage later. The experience is superb!
The best thing about Mandara Spa @ The Magellan Sutera Resort, Kota Kinabalu, is their professionalism, hospitality, and highly-experienced Massage Therapists. They were very friendly that I did not hesitate to ask them to teach me something about massage thingy. I also asked them to explain each of the oils that they showed to me, and I was so impressed that provide me with good information. Be sure to ask them when you are having your massage session at Mandara Spa. You will find each of the massage oils are very interesting.
I did ask them which of the massage oil was suitable for someone who were having flu, and they recommend me to have Spice Island Oil. However, it is not suitable for those who have sensitive skin. Frankly speaking, you can always rely on their recommendation because they have learnt everything about massage, body, and oils. Anyway, I felt much better after the massage, and my flu subsided. Surprisingly, I did not even cough during the massage session. It was just so nice even after a few days post-massage. My body has reset back to zero. Love it!
You can find more information about Mandara Spa @ The Magellan Sutera Resort, Kota Kinabalu, down here. Give them a call or just go to their counter. Their friendly staff will surely be more than happy to serve you.
Mandara Spa @ The Magellan Sutera Resort
Opening Hours: 10.00am – 10.00pm
Location: Level 1, The Magellan Sutera Resort
For any enquiries, please contact Mandara Spa at: