You may have heard that most Koreans did cosmetic surgery when they are young, and their beauty is totally fake. If you’ve been to Korea, or gotten yourself with a Korean friend, then you must have noticed that they have nice skin. In fact, my sis-in-law (SIL) is a Korean and she hasn’t undergo any cosmetic or plastic surgery yet. So, I asked her the other day about taking care of her skin because she has a glowing, and flawless skin. In fact, my mum was also curious about her skin, and whether she went under the knife previously. We were quite surprised to know that her beauty regimen includes 15 layered products! No wonder she took longer time in the bathroom in the morning, and evening!
Maybe many of you have heard about it already as it has been published in some articles on the Internet a few years back. According to what my SIL told me before, the total secret lies on the face cleansing. Yes. the first step before getting all other skincare products to be applied on the face is to ensure that the face is clean enough and ready to absorb the nutrients. My SIL mentioned one of the Korean celebrities revealed her secret skincare technique that helped in keeping her skin soft, smooth and supple, and that’s the ‘424 Face Washing’ technique.
The 424 Face Washing technique is basically 3 steps of face washing which includes how long to do for every step. It simply means 4 minutes to clean the face with facial cleansing oil/cream, 2 minutes for cleansing foam, and 4 minutes for rinsing with warm and cold water.
1st step: Facial Cleansing Oil/Cream (4 Minutes)
When I first heard this from my SIL, I was hesitant because my friends always told me that cleansing oil can cause breakouts. After listening to her explanation (I’m happy to have SIL who can converse in simple Malay language especially when she knows where to put that ‘Bah!’ expression!), I’ve learned that facial cleansing oil actually helps to dissolve other ‘bad’ oil substances that can cause breakouts, these substances are the hardest to remove and they include waterproof make-up. All you have to do is massage the face with any facial cleansing oil/cream for 4 minutes. Gently massage your face, and pay more cautious on eyes area because the skin is quite sensitive and thin. Don’t rinse it yet because you will cleanse it during step 2. Anyway, here’s a list of recommended facial cleansing oil/cream which you can try:
Recommended Facial Cleansing Oil/Cream
- CIRACLE Absolute Deep Cleansing Oil
- Here is a solution for your makeup removal. It cleans heavy make-up, manages sebum, tightens large pores, and gives moisture to your skin. You can remove make-up, and keep your skin moist and healthy after the every cleansing. It is a washable cleansing oil, and does not leave oily and sticky residue. It contains clean and extracted high-purity green tea seed oil. The best thing about this cleansing oil lies on its mild texture which does not cause skin irritation. Also, it is
suitable for all skin types, even for sensitive skin.
- CIRACLE Deep Clear Massage Cream
- Ciracle Deep Clear Massage Cream is a deep cleansing cream that clears the skin and pores that have been covered with make-up and dirt all day. Besides, this awesome deep cleansing cream also revived tired and lifeless skin. The natural plant extracts in this cleansing cream help you to thoroughly cleanse your skin without being harmful and abrasive. The cleansing is so effective that it can remove anything from the lightest of BB creams to waterproof make-up. Your skin will feel so happy after the wonderful deep cleansing and massage. It will be so clean and clear! Ciracle Deep Clear Massage Cream also helps to calm the skin when used as a gentle massage cream.
- KLAIRS Gentle Black Deep Cleansing Oil
- KLAIRS Gentle Black Deep Cleansing Oil is composed of various vegetable oils that are helpful for skin care. Its easily washable texture allows mild yet effective cleansing of dirt and make-up without causing any trouble or irritation. Gentle Black Deep Cleansing Oil is the best cleanser to maintain skins moisture even after cleansing. The ingredients of Gentle Black Deep Cleansing Oil consist of natural oils extracted from Black bean which control sebum production and provide skin soothing. Black sesame oil with antioxidant effects and Black currant seed oil that is rich in minerals and vitamins. You can experience the hypo-allergenic formula for sensitive skin.
- Hera Purifying Cleansing Oil Skincare
- Hera Purifying Cleansing Oil contains hydrophilic ingredients and less-sticky oil that leave the skin feeling refreshed after washing. With gentle and light rolling, you can even remove point make-up and impurities while skin-relaxing ingredients keep the skin clear.
- Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals Mineralixirs Facial Cleansing Oil
- This is a gentle yet effective facial oil cleanser Contains plant-derived oils and a skin-enhancing mineral complex. It helps to dissolve impurities and make-up while conditioning and nourishing skin. It leaves a clean, luminous and healthy looking skin.
- Kose Sekkisei Clear Cleansing Oil
- This deep cleansing facial oil features a lightweight, non-sticky texture that spreads readily and washes off easily. It’s formulated with oriental herbal ingredients that deeply cleanse pores, and thoroughly removes stubborn makeup, sebum and pore-clogging debris. It also banishes roughness around the nostrils and chin as well as protects skin’s moisture and eliminates skin dullness. It’s infused with a gentle and relaxing scent for a pleasant cleansing experience This cleansing oil leaves the skin with smooth, clear, radiant and translucent.
2nd step: Facial Foam (2 Minutes)
Now all the dirt and grime are ready to be washed away using facial cleansing foam. Gentle massage your face for 2 minutes using different strokes before rinsing it off in Step 3. You can actually use your current facial cleansing foam. You can actually use facial scrub but that should only be applied once to twice a week for sensitive and matured skin, and twice to thrice a week for dry, oily, and combination skin. The reason is you don’t want to strip off the ‘good’ natural oil. Remember, overly dry skin can contribute to breakouts, too! Here are the recommended products if you feel that your current facial cleanser doesn’t give you a squeaky clean face.
Recommended Facial Cleansing Foam/Scrub
- CIRACLE Anti-Blemish Foam Cleanser
- Acne prone skin and skin trouble is often caused by leftover skin dirt. They include any make up residue, excessive sebum, clogged up dead skin cell and dirt in the air. Anti-Blemish Foam shows powerful cleansing formula to get rid of all sorts of wastes, so that you don’t have to worry about them anymore. This foam cleanser has enriched foam that will help you get rid of troubles. The perfect ratio of Eucalypus, Pine tree, Lime, Bergamot oil and Natural aroma oil helps you receive anti-bacterial effect. Using trouble skin care line may not be enough. Now, treat your acne right with removing the basic cause of the acne.
- ELISHACOY Vita Capsule Cleanser
- Vitamin Cleanser from Elishacoy can be used on all types of skin. This vitamin cleanser cleans the pores and adds moisture to the dull skin. The key ingredients such as Vita Complex-10 Capsules, Ceramide 3, and Aloe Vera enhance the skin tone and nourishes your skin. Plus, the soft and fresh cream when used with facial brush cleanser provides the perfect cleansing. It leaves the skin smooth and soft without the sensation of tightness or dryness.
- SKIN&LAB Always Vita Foam Cleanser
- It is a booster type cleanser that helps fast absorption of base make-up with its mild peeling effect, removing old skin cells and nourish the skin. The key ingredients including 5 types of Vitamins (A, B, C, E and K3) provides Elasticity, Brightening, Moisture, and Anti-Redness respectively. This foam cleanser has coconut fruit extract which removes the dead skin cells and enhances the moisture absorption by skin.
- S2J Ultra Vitamins Facial Treatment Cleansing Foam
- Ultra Vitamins Facial Treatment Cleansing Foam is hypo-allergenic cleanser that offers brightening effect from vitamin. When you wash your face with the premium cleanser, 7 different types of vitamin ingredients and encapsulated sphere of vitamin E are being spread around the face. Offering the brightening effect, Ultra Vitamins Facial Treatment Cleansing Foam whitens up the facial skin. It contains more than 20% of hydrating component which provides the moisture to the skin while cleansing the face. Ultra Vitamins Facial Treatment Cleansing Foam softens the rough and dry skin even after the facial wash. The fine texture of cleansing foam is deeply approached to the pores and wash the leftover dirt on your skin.
- 23YEARS OLD Pergillus 15 Sec. Foam Cleanser (Upgrade)
- Pergillus 15 Sec. Foam Cleanser is made with 4 key ingredients as well as all-natural ingredients full of nutrients for a pure, safe to use formula without irritants and artificial chemicals. The 4 key ingredients collaborate with each other to form the signature stickiness that makes the Pergillus 15Sec. Foam Cleanser so unique. The stickiness allows it to closely blanket the skin for a deep cleanse down to each and every pore while all-natural ingredients such as beeswax creates a protective hydration barrier to prevent dryness and to protect from irritants.
- COSRX Hyaluronic Acid Hydra Foam Cleanser
- Hyaluronic Acid Hydra Foam Cleanser contains Hyaluronic acid to maximize hydration and minimize irritation. Sodium Hyaluronate is a natural ingredient that is well known for its wonderful moisturizing effect. By containing 100ppm of Sodium Hyaluronate, Hyaluronic Acid Hydra Foam Cleanser delivers perfect cleansing without causing any dehydration. Hyaluronic Acid Hydra Foam Cleanser helps to sustain the skin moisture layer. With your skin being protected, you can feel soft and hydrated skin after the facial wash. If you are looking for a mild cleanser to avoid breakouts or irritation, you’ve got the answer.
- SKINMISO Rice Foam Cleansing
- SKINMISO’s Rice Foam Cleansing is the best facial cleansing foam! It uses many natural ingredients derived from plants so that the product is not harmful to your skin. It effectively removes dirt, dead skin cells, and make-up from your skin all while keeping your skin moisturized by regulating the sebum-water balance. The fine yet rich lather of this facial cleansing foam has great capabilities to effectively remove all types of make-up that has built up on your skin during the day. Rice extract included in this facial cleansing foam serves as a great regulator of sebum-water balance. It also adds much needed nutrients to your skin. Papaya extracts in this facial cleansing foam gently removes dead skin cells and excess sebum without damaging your skin.
- ELISHACOY Skin Refreshing Snail Cleanser
- Snail mucus extract ‘Mucin’ is the key component to help body recovery of snail. Mucin keeps skin moisture while protecting the skin layer from harmful environment. It also provides natural nourishment to boost up skin elasticity. That is the reason why many cosmetic companies adopt snail mucus as key ingredient for basic skin care products. Skin Refreshing Snail Cleanser is the answer to energize and protect the skin during the cleansing step as it does not only cleanses make-up or dirt, but also offers high level of elasticity and nourishment.
- GWAILNARA Aloe Vera Moisture Real Cleansing Foam
- Aloe Vera Moisture Real Cleansing Foam is the cleansing foam with Aloe Vera extract, the perfect solution for skin soothing and moisturizing. By using Aloe Vera Moisture Real Cleansing Foam for facial cleansing, you can offer the skin powerful energy and vitality. Delivering positive benefits of aloe vera, the Aloe Vera Moisture Real Cleansing Foam will not only wash off dirt, it will also start taking care of your skin. To avoid the dryness after the facial wash, hydration is the important part. Aloe Vera Moisture Real Cleansing Foam is extra moisturizing with its aloe vera extract and rich soothing cleanser.
3rd Step: Warm & Cold Water (4 Minutes)
The final step involves warm, and cold water – 2 minutes with warm water, and the other 2 minutes with cold water. You will start rinsing off the residue with warm water because warm water actually open the pores to enable all the dirt to be cleanse-off. Besides, it increase blood circulation so that your skin can generate more new cells. During the last 2 minutes, you can rinse with cold water as it helps to close the pores as well as give you the fresh feeling without having the skin to have taut feeling. Just a quick reminder, never use hot water to rinse off the residue as this will lead to overly dry skin and lead to breakouts. Plus, you don’t want to ‘burn’ your delicate skin, anyway!
I have practicing with this 424 Facial Cleansing Technique for two weeks now, and all I can say is it makes my skin soft, supple, and hydrated. I love to hear when my clients thought I was younger than my actual age. If you have been following my Instagram, I’ve posted a few photos of my current favourite skincare products. I’m challenging myself to see the effects of following the Korean beauty regimen, I will post the result early next month. I can hardly wait to see the result!
Tell me what do you feel after using this technique. I’m so eager to know! Happy cleansing!